Hippocrates was a Greek Nutritionist, Physician and Surgeon who lived from approximately 460 B.C. until around 370 B.C. Considered as ” the Father of Medicine,” Hippocrates is credited as being the first physician who believed that diseases were not caused by superstition or gods, but rather that diseases had natural causes.
Hippocrates beliefs were designed and completely laid out over 2500 years ago as ten rules. Western medicine and many western lifestyles seem to have disregarded and strayed from these rules. These are the same rules used to develop the Hippocratic oath taken by all doctors.
Hippocrates also recognized the moral and spiritual aspects of healing, and believed that treatment could occur only with consideration of attitude, environmental influences, values and natural remedies. Interpreting Hippocrates’s meaning of consideration implies taking personal responsibility (ownership) for our attitude, our environmental influences (as we see and interpret them), and the treatment using natural remedies.
1. The natural way is the only way. This should be an obvious medical pursuit, according to Mother Nature and Hippocrates.
2. Treat the cause of an illness, not the symptom. Modern synthetic drugs just mask the illness, but never deal with the origin. Identify the root cause for true healing and restoration of health.
3. Look to the spine for illnesses. Hippocrates strongly suggested spinal health, which relates to modern day chiropractic treatment.
4. Throw away your drugs and heal the people with food. Food is medicine – medicine is food. Hippocrates knew that food had health giving qualities – now known as protein, real food, vitamins and minerals.
5. Most illness can be prevented by eating natural foods. The majority of foods that Americans consume are processed, refined, overcooked, full of chemicals, pesticides, artificial ingredients, xenohormones, antibiotics, GMOs and grown in mineral depleted soil.
6. A healthy colon is essential. All disease begins in the gut. The U.S. Government reports that colon problems are dramatically increasing in America (and continue to do so). Optimizing digestion, a healthy microbiome, and a healthy functioning colon are crucial for health, vitality, longevity and fat loss.
“All disease begins in the gut.” – Hippocrates
7. Do not administer dangerous and harmful medications. The FDA admits that prescription drugs kill 50,000 – 350,000 people a year in the U.S.
8. Do no harm to your patients. The New England Journal of Medicine reports that the end result of most drug therapy is harmful side effects.
9. Do not perform surgery for money. The U.S. government reports that 75% of all surgeries in the U.S. are unnecessary.
10. The word protein means most important. Hippocrates named protein as the most essential food we should consume, as the greater percentage of our bodies are comprised of it.
“If we could give every individual the right amount of nourishment and exercise, not too little and not too much, we would have found the safest way to health.” —Hippocrates