Lemons and limes are a rich source of vitamin C and potassium, a traditional tonic for increasing salivary and gastric secretions, and many other health benefits.
The Health Benefits of Lemons and Limes
Start your day with 8-12 ounces of filtered water. Add the juice from one fresh lemon or lime and a pinch or two of Celtic sea salt.
- Digestive support. Drink a cup of warm lemon or lime water with a pinch of unprocessed Celtic sea salt, Redmond’s salt or Himalayan salt before meals. Doing so boosts digestive fire, activates hydrochloric acid (HCL) production and enzyme activity, and supports the bowels, liver and kidneys. Add a pinch of cayenne pepper to boost metabolism.
- Add freshly sliced lemons and limes to drinking water to offset chlorine and fluoride
- Lemons and limes reduce reduce the glycemic index of meals up to 30%! Squeeze fresh lime or lemon juice onto fish, chicken, salads or veggies.
- Creates an alkaline-environment in your body
- Use lemons and limes to support healthy and natural detoxification
- Enhance mineral absorption and preventing calcium-leaching from bones
- Brain and nervous system health. Blend lime juice with your favorite grass-fed collagen protein powder for a healthy cooler for the brain and nervous system.
- Strong antibacterial (destroys bacteria in the mouth and gut), antiseptic and antiviral properties, natural antibiotic and immune-boosting power
- Natural breath freshener (add a sprig of fresh mint and sliced lemon to drinking water)
- Fight body odor and use as a natural deodorant (fresh lime juice, baking soda and coconut oil applied to armpits)
- Clears up acne and rejuvenates the skin
- Contains pectin, which helps gently remove toxic heavy metals, lower cholesterol and reduce blood sugar. Citrus pectin is an effective chelator of pesticides, lead and other toxic metals without depleting your body of magnesium, zinc and other important minerals.
- Excellent, all-natural cleanser: lemon juice, baking soda and water
- Flavor enhancer when used on fish, poultry, salads, grilled veggies, avocado, and green smoothies
- Full of bioflavonoids and antioxidant phytonutrients (Vitamin P)
- Shiny clean hair: lemons and limes remove product buildup from hair. Use lemon or lime juice diluted in water as a natural highlight enhancer.
- Enhances nutrient absorption
- High nutrient value, full of antioxidants that help fight free-radical damage: vitamin B6, Vitamin C, iron and potassium, and a good source of dietary fiber. Lemons and limes also contain calcium, copper, folic acid, magnesium, manganese, phosphorus and zinc.
- Inhibits the growth of kidney stones and supports the kidneys
- Fresh lemon or lime juice and olive oil help dissolve gallstones
- Limonoids, the peeling of the lemons and limes contain disease-fighting compounds shown to induce cancer cell death particularly beneficial for protecting against cancers of the skin, breast, stomach, mouth, lung and colon. [Nutrition and Cancer, 2001]
- Enhance immunity, reduce mucus, and help fight cold, flu and infections
- Aids the liver in bile formation. Nourishes and stimulates liver enzymes, increasing your body’s ability to cleanse itself of toxins, which can aid in weight loss
- Lemon juice has been known to aid in relieving asthma
- Prevents calcium deposit build-up in the arteries